- Project Acronym: sustainable-co-production
- Start Date: 1. June 2018
- End Date: 31. May 2021 (prolonged until May 2022)
- Project Duration: 3 years (4 years)
- Call Identifier: ERA CoBioTech Call 1
- Grant Agreement: No 722361
- Project Budget: € 1.658.000
- EU Funding: € 1.336.000
- Project Coordinator: Dr. Carlos Dezar (Bioceres), Argentina
Sustainable co-production is the short form of the research project “Tobacco as sustainable production platform of the natural biopolymer cyanophycin as co-product to oil and protein”. The project is funded by the ERA CoBioTech Call 1 as part of the European Union’s Horizon 2020 research and innovation programme under grant agreement No .
It combines plant and industrial biotechnology to increase the value of commercially grown tobacco with products that can sustainably substitute fossil raw materials. We aim to establish a new economically feasible production system for the biopolymer cyanophycin (CGP) as a by-product of tobacco without relevant additional costs, which can be adopted by farmers and biotech companies in Argentina.